Sunday, September 15, 2013

Mercy.

How do you show mercy to someone who is undeserving?

How do you show mercy when someone has embarrassed you, humiliated you, stepped over their boundaries and is constantly trying to crush you?

How do you identify that God wants you to show love, to be generous, and to show grace and mercy?!

All I can think of is that is exactly what God has done for me. He has shown me grace, mercy, and love when I am least deserving. But he is God! He is capable of such things and I am a human and frustration, anger, and hatred are a quick and easy find. How do you show mercy to someone who is undeserving of even your thoughts or time, or showing someone who would love nothing better than to see you out the door grace? It seems nearly an impossible feat!

I was running today and as I was running up the biggest hill the song "Boasting" by Lecrae came on. I was really listening to the lyrics to get my mind off the burn in my legs and the shortness of breath when I heard

"Glory was solely meant for you, doing what no one else could do.
With All I have to give,  I'll use my life, I'll use my lips. 
I'll only glory in your Word. What gift to me I don't deserve.
I'll live in such a way that it reflects to you my praise."

How is it that God knows exactly what you need to hear, right when you're thirsty for it? I need to live my life in such a way that reflects his praise... I don't deserve his glory but he bestows it on me anyway so I need to turn to him and accept this gift by showing him that I can be a light for him on this Earth, a place full of suffering and darkness, a place where anger is fed and hopelessness quickly devours souls. 

Mercy. compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.
Mercy. Not a feeling. An Action. A verb. 
Mercy. It's what I need to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment